For small business cyber security tools check out our cybersecurity website.
IT Security is becoming increasingly important as the number of threats has multiplied over the last 5 years. This has included the threat from foreign Governments with a range of viruses, malware and trojans.
Extreme Networks is the only IT company on the Mornington Peninsula with a Certified Ethical Hacker as part of the team.
Coupled with our experience in Server management, database and web design, we provide services around Policy and Procedures for security, auditing, and responding to security threats.
We can help you with all of these processes to minimise the risk to your data, your reputation and to your business. Our services include setting up anti virus solutions that are easily manageable, to installing Sophos firewalls to protect your network and keep track of what websites your staff are visiting to policy and procedure review to server hardening and intrusion detection. If you suspect your network has been hacked, data stolen or altered or want to look at ways of decreasing your exposure to IT security threats, please call Extreme Networks today
Given the heightened threat to the economy, the Federal Government has given responsibility for securing Small and Medium Sized Businesses to the Australian Signals Directorate, which has formed the Australian Cyber Security Centre. The ACSC provides businesses and IT Companies with a range of tools, resources, and training to ensure that the engine room of the economy is as well protected as possible.
Extreme Networks has partnered with the ACSC to ensure that our team has the skills and resources to provide the highest level of security to our customer’s networks. A large part of this is the implementation of the Essential 8 risk mitigation strategies. They are:
- Application Whitelisting – This stops non approved apps from running.
- Patch Applications – Many unpatched applications create easy backdoors for hackers.
- Configure Microsoft Office Macros – Office Macros are powerful but also represent a significant risk.
- User Application Hardening – Applications can be restricted to minimise the threat that they create.
- Restrict Administrative Privileges – Admin accounts are the ‘keys to the kingdom’ as such, they need to be protected.
- Patch Operating Systems – without regular patching Server, Desktop, Laptop and embed OS become increasingly vulnerable.
- Multi-factor authentication – This makes it harder for hackers to gain access to your infrastructure.
- Daily Backups – Along with trial restores, this is critical, because no infrastructure can be completely secured.
Is the Essential 8 right for your Small Business?
Our approach to Cyber Security is to look at the risks and the costs for implementing each of the measures. We also believe that the Essential 8 misses out on a range of critical actions that can help protect Australian Small Businesses. This is why we use our own Essential 8+ framework. Many of these practices are free or cheap to implement and can dramatically increase the resilience of all small businesses.
The main effort with SME Cyber Security is ensuring that risks are mitigated in a cost-effective way. No small business has an unlimited Cyber Security budget, so the most cost-effective methods of securing the business are required.
For more information, check out the ACSC Essential 8 Resources.
Extreme Networks has been providing Cyber Security services for SMEs on the Mornington Peninsula, Frankston, Dandenong and Gippsland for over 20 years. Our team of 15 experts are alwways learning to keep up with the latest hacking and defensive methods within the SME IT industry to protect our customers information and businesses.
If you need help with your SME Cyber Security needs, please contact Team Extreme.